As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unfold, we are beginning to see a light at the end of this tunnel. Throughout the crisis, I have never been more humbled by, or grateful for, the dedication of our Stephens Memorial Hospital care team and the support we have received from our incredible community. The health and safety of our patients, care team, and community continue to be our greatest priority.
The pandemic significantly disrupted our normal health care operations over the past year. But in the face of uncertainty, our team found innovative new ways to provide care. We implemented countless new measures to keep our patients safe, and performed jobs we never expected to do. Along with the rest of the world, we struggled to balance our professional and personal lives. And every day, we benefitted from being part of an integrated health care system. As COVID-19 case counts rose and fell, we found relief in mutual support with our colleagues across the MaineHealth family of care.
In the face of these challenges, our team never stopped, and our community offered unwavering support. Despite feeling scared, lonely, or burned out, we were at our best when we were needed most. “Team Stephens” pushed onward with tremendous accomplishments. Here are just a few:
- Launched a new multi-specialty clinic to bring specialists from Portland to care for our patients close to home
- Earned a Medicare 5-Star Rating for Patient Experience, joining an elite group of just 8% of hospitals in the nation
- Received the Leapfrog Top Rural Hospital Designation, joining 2% of over 2,000 Leapfrog-surveyed hospitals
- Earned a Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital Award in Pediatric Excellence
- Built a drive-through COVID-19 testing program that at its peak, provided over 100 tests every day for our community
- Upgraded our MRI machine to best-in-class imaging technology, with tremendous community support
- Expanded telehealth utilization, making it easier for patients to access the care they need
As we enter 2021, hope is on the horizon. As of this writing, Team Stephens is delivering 1,600 COVID-19 vaccine doses every week. Vaccine appointment slots are full, and the joy in the clinic is palpable. With your support, we are in this until we win this – and winning we are!